Yes, my name really is spelled that way.

1/13/2012

sneaky veggie tacos.

I can't believe I haven't ever posted about these tacos.  They are tacos that keeps relationships together (think my ex would probably still profess his undying love for these), get girls to help you pack and move (booze didn't hurt) and helps you unwind after a busy week.  The best part is they are vegetarian but they definitely aren't flavorless or overly tofu-y.  Great with a side of black beans and  grapefruit rosemary margaritas- this isn't greasy Mexican....
sneaky vegetarian tacos.
*yield: 2-3 tacos per person, this recipe is for 2

4-6 corn tortillas
canola oil spray
canola oil
1 package ground tofu (Trader Joe's has a great one)
1/2 bell pepper, diced
1/2 red onion, diced
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp paprika
sprinkle of red chili flakes
sprinkle of salt

assorted taco toppings: fresh diced avocado, fresh chopped tomato, cheese, salsa, etc. 
In a medium sized pan, add canola oil and heat over medium heat.  Add peppers and onions and sprinkle with salt.  Cook a couple minutes until caramelized.  Add ground tofu and spices.  Reduce heat to medium and stir.  Allow flavors to combine (usually about 3-5 minutes).  
 Meanwhile, in a small pan, spritz with canola oil spray and heat up the pan over medium heat.  Add tortilla, one at a time, and spritz the top with canola oil spray again.  Fry each side until slightly crisp.  Slide onto a plate.  If making for more than 1-2 people, add to a preheated oven to keep warm. 

To finish, add tortillas to plates and top with ground tofu mixture.  Add favorite toppings and try not to overstuff! 

I wish I had more photos - I blame the margaritas....

1 comment:

  1. I think its safe to say I never met a taco I didn't like. And yes, that includes 2 for $1. Jack in the Box. But a healthy spin on my fave sure wouldn't hurt me. I've never tried the TJ's ground tofu, but now I'll definitely be picking it up to make these treats! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete