Yes, my name really is spelled that way.

5/30/2012

enchiladas with beet greens, chicken & goat cheese.

Last week, I had a huge amount of beet greens* so I made two recipes that used up much of my wares - all very summery and perfect for multiple lunches and dinners.  With a few leftover greens, I will sauteed the rest for weekend brunch.  More recipes to come!  

The enchiladas turned out great - very California with the beet greens and goat cheese so they aren't exactly authentic (plus I don't fry the tortillas).  Perfect with a side of black beans and a salad with friends....
 enchiladas with beet greens, chicken & goat cheese.
chicken breast, poached, baked or grilled then shredded (I poached mine in 1/2 broth, 1/2 water, chili flakes, peppercorns, bay leaves and coriander)
corn tortillas
large bunch beet greens, rinsed, dried and rough chopped
1/4 onion, chopped
olive oil
red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste
ground cumin
garlic clove, minced
goat cheese
enchilada sauce (I used the bottled Trader Joe's variety)
shredded Mexican cheese (again, a Trader Joe's purchase that helped save time)

 In a large pan, preheat about a tablespoon of oil over medium-low heat.  Add onion, garlic clove and spices and cook about 30 seconds.  Add beet greens and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Saute about 5 minutes, until greens are wilted and cooked through.  Remove from heat.
 
 
 Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  While oven is heating, gently warm a corn tortilla (I either put it in a small non-stick skillet for less than a minute or stack a few in the oven wrapped in foil, taking them out one by one).  Spritz a baking pan with a neutral oil spray (I used canola).  Spread goat cheese on one side of the tortilla.  Top with shredded chicken and beet greens.  Roll gently and place in pan.  Repeat with remaining tortillas.  I stopped when I ran out of chicken and greens so I would have enough for leftovers.  Pour enchilada sauce over tortillas and top with cheese.  Bake about 15-20 minutes.  
 
*whenever I go to the farmer's market, I see people asking for the tops cut off of beets and radishes.  I always squeak "but that's the best part" before asking the vendor for the tops.  One farm at the Larchmont farmer's market gives me a bag of greens whenever I ask!  Other shoppers look at me in disbelief and I can't imagine people going to the market and not actually cooking....  Apologies for the first picture - it is terrible!

No comments:

Post a Comment